Top Five Most Expensive Transfers Involving Nigerian Players
Everton-owned winger, Henry Onyekuru and Villarreal’s Samuel Chukwueze among the top five most expensive transfers involved Nigerian. These two guys could break the Nigerian transfer record in the near future based on recent developments.
The top five most expensive transfers in history involving Nigerian players are:
1) Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City to Leicester City): The Foxes purchased Iheanacho from the Citizens in August 2017 for a transfer fee in the region of £25million, making him the most expensive Nigerian player in history.
2) Odion Ighalo (Watford to Changchun Yatai): Ighalo’s Nigerian transfer record stood for only six months before it was broken by Iheanacho. The Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers top scorer was recruited for £20million.
3) Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow to Leicester City): Although Musa failed to make a difference in his stint at Leicester City, the former Premier League champions had to cough up 17 million pounds to secure his signature from the Muscovites in July 2016. This was a Nigerian transfer record before it was surpassed by Ighalo.
4) John Obi Mikel (Lyn Oslo to Chelsea): Super Eagles captain, Mikel had the honor of being Nigeria’s most expensive player for a decade after joining Chelsea from Lyn Oslo for a fee of £16 million.
5) Wilfred Ndidi (Racing Genk to Leicester City): Ndidi has made an impact since transferring to the Foxes for a fee of £15 million and that fee would rise if Genk triggers the performance related add-ons.